Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all molds from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all molds, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Victoria can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold.
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
It’s important to keep your heating, ventilation, and air condition (HVAC) units working correctly to prevent the spread of unwanted dust and contaminants throughout the company building. When the ductwork of your HVAC unit becomes clogged or backed up, you might start to notice foul odors coming you can’t get rid of, or find the source of in your place of business. When it comes to commercial cleaning, our professional technicians at SERVPRO of Victoria can inspect, repair, restore, and replace your HVAC unit so that you can breathe clean, fresh air in your home or office all day long. The benefits of getting your business’ HVAC unit are restoring the peak energy efficiency, can eliminate any offensive odors that have been lingering around and may help reduce the potential mold growth.
By having your HVAC system worked on can help better protect your business. Call SERVPRO of Victoria for more information or to schedule an air duct cleaning appointment! (361) 573-6000
Freezing Pipe Tips
Freezing weather is still upon us here in Victoria, Texas. We encourage We at SERVPRO of Victoria want to make sure you know the correct steps to take to prevent damages to your home and more importantly disruptions to your life. To help protect your home and limit the potential for frozen pipes consider the following steps:
- Allow faucet to drip
- Seal up cracks and holes
- Apply heating tape
- Add extra insulation
If winter and cold weather take their toll on your home, do not hesitate to give SERVPRO of Victoria a call, (361) 573- 6000. SERVPRO of Victoria has highly trained technicians with years of experience and certifications to get the job done. SERVPRO of Victoria is dedicated to helping you when disaster strikes!
Does this seem like the wettest winter in Victoria? Temperatures are lower, more rain has fallen, and heavier winds have overtaken Sugar Land. If we recall correctly, it has been a long time since we’ve seen these kinds of weather patterns. While we have no control over the weather, we do have the opportunity to keep the weather from affecting our homes or business. To help prevent weather-related damages from hurting your home or business, apply some of the following tips to protect your property:
- Keep gutters clear of leaves, sticks and other debris to help ensure it can drain properly. Make sure downspouts direct water away from the home or business
- Wrap water pipes in your crawl spaces with insulation sleeves to slow heat transfer and prevent freezing
- If you have a fireplace, keep the flue closed when you're not using it
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through unheated or unprotected spaces
Give SERVPRO of Victoria a call if you have any additional questions. Our team is always here to help when disaster strikes!
Fireplace Safety Tips
Fireplaces may be more than just the focal point of a person’s home, especially during the winter seasons. It may be used to provide warmth during this time of year. However, fireplaces can be potentially dangerous. Home fire safety is essential, below are a few tips to help keep your home and family safe:
- Crack open a window while the fire is burning.
- Be sure the damper or flue is open before lighting or starting a fire, and until embers have completely stopped burning, to draw smoke out of the house.
- Check the damper by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror.
- Use smaller pieces of dry and well-aged wood for home fire safety, avoiding wet or green wood, which causes more smoke and soot buildup in the chimney.
- Have a professional check the chimney annually.
- When cleaning a fireplace, remove ashes from previous fires, keeping levels of the to 1 inch or less for less smoke
- Check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
- Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended and be sure it’s completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Home fireplace safety should include keeping a fire extinguisher on hand.
Fire damage can be devastating and SERVPRO of Victoria understands the stress that comes with it. SERVPRO of Victoria is dedicated to helping you. If you face any winter storm damages, give our team a call (361) 573-6000 and we’ll be there to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Winterize Your Business
The winter months may call for some businesses to take some standard precautionary measures to help protect their company. These measures include basic maintenance checks and preparation to help ensure your business and employees remain safe. A few tips include:
- Check your business property for down tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice, and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves or debris accumulates causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats on non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is a team of specialists, trained in cleanup and care for your business. We are always here to help make disasters “Like it never even happened.” Give our team a call today if you experience any water or fire damage.
Candle Safety Tips
There is something calming about candles especially during the holiday season. They look pretty and enhance the ambiance in a room, they give off a fragrant smell that can be so luring, but they can also be the cause to a house fire. December has been noted as the peak month of candle fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association, 3 out of every 5 candle fires started when they were placed to something that can burn, such as furniture, bedding, or decorations. Review the tips below to prevent any house fires this holiday season:
- Blow out candles before leaving a room or going to bed
- Keep candles one foot (30 centimeters) away from anything that can burn
- Use a sturdy candle holder, that will not tip over easily
- Put candle holders and a sturdy and unclutter surface
- Light candles carefully, keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame
- Do not let the candle burn all the way to the bottom; put it out before it gets too close to the container or holder
- You should not light a candle if oxygen is used in the home
- During a power outage, use a flashlight or battery-operated lighting instead of a candle
Although candles can add to the décor in the room, however, they can also add danger. Remember candles are an open flame which means they can easily ignite. Create an environment that is safe for you during this holiday season, use alternatives to prevent any candle fires in homes like using flameless candles. As always, remember SERVPRO of Victoria is here to help!
When Is It Time To Replace A Hot Water Heater?
When was the last time you changed your hot water heater? Has it been a while? It’s one of those appliances that may be remained unseen or hidden away in the attic. However, it’s important to make sure to keep up regular maintenance for many reasons. Homeowners can wake up in the middle of the night or even come home to water all over their home. Depending on the size, it can possibly leave up to 50+ gallons of water. Below are a few telling signs that it may be time to change out the hot water heater in your home.
- Typically, a gas hot water heater can last about 8 to 12 years, while an electric model will last slightly longer from about 10 to 15 years. If your water heater is getting up in years, it may be time to replace it before it breaks
- If a puddle surrounds the base of the hot water heater, it is important to act immediately
- If there is no hot water while using the tap, this may be an indicator it’s time to get the hot water heater checked
- Signs of tinted water coming from your hot water tap means there may be rust in the hot water heater, which may show possible aging and a signal of an oncoming leak
- Gurgling or popping noises coming from your water heater are caused by the buildup of hard water sediment heating up and exploding inside your water heater tank
It is always good to be prepared, because disasters may strike when we least expect it. SERVPRO of Victoria is dedicated to helping you when disaster strikes. Give our trained professionals a call if you ever experience any kind of water damage. Our experts are here to help, (361) 573-6000.
Emergency Ready Profile
Are you a small business owner that would like to protect your company from disaster striking? You may not always prevent disasters from happening, but you can always be prepared. Begin the New Year by letting SERVPRO of Victoria help you stay in business by helping you be prepared for unplanned disasters. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By creating an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) with SERVPRO of Victoria you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. The Emergency Ready Profile provides critical details of your facility along with immediate contact information that provides a guide to get you back into your building after a disaster. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business. Be ready and get a free Emergency Ready Profile with SERVPRO of Victoria, give our office a call at (361) 573-6000. We are dedicated to helping make disasters "Like it never even happened."
Truth About Mold Growth
It is important to treat water damage immediately when it happens or right when it is discovered. When water damage occurs, small or large, and is not properly treated, there is potential that it could lead into further damages. In as little as 48 hours, mold can begin to spread throughout the affected areas; especially if the conditions of the area are moist and dark. Do not leave the safety of your home up to chance. If you have experienced water damage take charge and give the professionals a call to properly dry out your home to prevent mold growth. SERVPRO of Victoria has highly trained technicians with years of experience and certifications to get the job done. Do not hesitate to give SERVPRO of Victoria a call (361) 573- 6000. Our team is dedicated to helping you when disaster strikes!