Thanksgiving Day Safety in Victoria, Texas
Thanksgiving around the corner and most of America starts to prepare for one of the most important meals of the year! Typically, the most common dishes found on a Thanksgiving table are a turkey. Most people prepare turkeys for the big occasion. But did you know that there can be some dangers with preparing a turkey in your own home? Cooking is the leading cause of house fires according to Ready.gov. Be extra careful with turkey fryers. There are a few house fires that take place on Thanksgiving due to the fact that some safety precautions were not being considered. SERVPRO of Victoria has provided some helpful tips to use while preparing a turkey to prevent any mishaps from happening. Below are a few key messages to follow to help ensure the safety of your home:
- Only use turkey fryers outdoors; away from home or building and any flammable materials.
- Keep children and pets a safe distance away from the fryer when in use and for several hours after cooking.
- Do not leave the fryer unattended; temperature should also be monitored closely.
- If any smoke, at all, comes from the heating pot of oil, turn the burner off immediately as oil may be overheating.
- Cover any skin that is exposed; it is encouraged to use a pair of gloves that is designed for high heat.
- Follow the manufacture's recommendation for the amount of oil to add. Do not over fill the fryer.
- Be prepared - consider purchasing a fire extinguisher for safety precautions.
SERVPRO of Victoria wishes everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!