Does Bleach Get Rid of Mold?
Did you know that bleach does NOT kill mold? This is a common misconception that bleach can treat any kind of mold problems. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has taken a strong stance against using bleach to treat mold due to:
- The active ingredient of bleach is hydrogen peroxide and the is used for disinfecting and the removal of stains
- Bleach does not work on porous surfaces, but mold loves porous areas. Bleach is made up of 90% water, so once the chlorine quickly evaporates, you are left with a ton of moisture that will help mold continue to grow. Even though it may look like bleach has killed the mold infecting your home, it is only the top layer that has been killed, and the mold’s roots within the walls will easily come back stronger.
- Bleach can weaken the surfaces you put it on. When bleach is put on a surface such as wood, it can begin to eat away at the fibers. Even a small change to an important structural piece of your home could be disastrous.
SERVPRO of Victoria is here for any of your weather-related remediation needs, give our team of trained professionals a call! (361) 573-6000.